Monday, December 10, 2012

Right-to-Work: The Battle for Michigan's Worker Freedom

Tim Bos stood outside the Capitol in Lansing on Thursday afternoon, wearing a suit and tie, as hundreds of people protested the right-to-work movement. He is a journeyman pipe fitter from Waterford, a 56-year-old blue-collar worker, who is emotional and passionate and was there from the start.

He was one of the conservative activists who had pushed for a right-to-work law for more than a year, behind the scenes. A former UAW member, Bos believes deep in his soul that he is right. That this movement will help Michigan. That he is helping his children

The meeting was held in Lansing in April 2011.

About 35 conservative political activists from across the state showed up to talk about right-to-work issues, which is an explosive, controversial topic in Michigan. "We met secretly," Bos said. "It wasn't that we hated unions; we hated the power of what unions had grown into."

They sat at tables and introduced themselves. Bos didn't really know anybody.

"I wanted to check it out," he said. "I knew nothing about the vast majority of the 35 people there. When I got there and saw the caliber of people, the intellect, the principled nature that was driving them, I said, 'I want to be part of this.' "

Bos said the group took a name -- the Michigan Freedom to Work Coalition -- because polling showed it wouldn't be as divisive as using the phrase "right-to-work."

One of the people at the meeting was Terry Bowman, a Ford employee and member of the UAW. Bowman would become one of the biggest voices on this issue -- eventually leaving this organization for another one, working on similar issues -- while Bos would become chairman of the coalition's grassroots committee.

On Friday morning, Bos worked through e-mails and went on Facebook, still working at that grassroots level. He wasn't celebrating.

"It's not so much spiking the football," he said. "I can relate to those union members so much. I also understand they have been motivated by misinformation."

While the debate rages across Michigan, there is no question in Bos' mind: This legislation will help Michigan.

"Some people say, 'You are busting the unions,' " Bos said. "I say, 'You are darn right. I'm busting the bad ones.'

"I am so thankful for my right to be able to choose. If I think I need to be able to buy representation, I'm thankful for that. But I don't think I should be forced to."

He is excited about the future. Excited for Michigan. And believes the economy will improve.

"I can't wait for the results that will happen over the next two years," he said. "It would be so nice for Michigan to lead the nation in something positive."

Read More in The Detroit Free Press"

No comments:

Post a Comment